http://www.makepovertyhistory.org iBlog: The Two Things I Dislike About Being Anglican...

iBlog

Tomorrow's blog today

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The Two Things I Dislike About Being Anglican...

1)
Those little bits of bitesize liturgy that aren't written down on the paper. Like:

Vicar: ``May the peace of God [et al]...... be upon you`` (or words to that effect)
Proles: ``And also with you``.

How do Anglicans learn these bits - there's waaaay too much to remember, like the creed and bits people say at communion and set Anglicanny phrases to say while drinking tea...

2)

Tell me the old, old story of unseen things above,
Of Jesus and His glory, of Jesus and His love.
Tell me the story simply, as to a little child,
For I am weak and weary, and helpless and defiled.

Refrain

Tell me the old, old story,
tell me the old, old story,
Tell me the old, old story,
of Jesus and His love.

Tell me the story slowly, that I may take it in,
That wonderful redemption, God’s remedy for sin.
Tell me the story often, for I forget so soon;
The early dew of morning has passed away at noon.

Refrain

Tell me the old, old story,
tell me the old, old story,
Tell me the old, old story,
of Jesus and His love.

Tell me the story softly, with earnest tones and grave;
Remember I’m the sinner whom Jesus came to save.
Tell me the story always, if you would really be,
In any time of trouble, a comforter to me.

Refrain

Tell me the old, old story,
tell me the old, old story,
Tell me the old, old story,
of Jesus and His love.

Tell me the same old story when you have cause to fear
That this world’s empty glory is costing me too dear.
Yes, and when that world’s glory is dawning on my soul,
Tell me the old, old story: “Christ Jesus makes thee whole.”

Refrain

Tell me the old, old story,
tell me the old, old story,
Tell me the old, old story,
of Jesus and His love.



9 Comments:

  • At 10:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Even I know the blessings!

    May the blessing of the Lord Jesus Christ, the Love of God, and the fellowship of the holy spirit be with us all, evermore, Amen.

     
  • At 9:57 AM, Blogger Timothy V Reeves said…

    Now isn't that just typical! I bet "Isn't life just always great!" Dave can't enough Christian quips, cliches and liturgy! Who is the anti-matter version of the other; you or Dave? Have you two ever thought of doing a double Christian comedy act together?

     
  • At 10:02 AM, Blogger Mark Tiddy said…

    welcome to parrot fashion church!!!

    I agree that the first is annoying, tho I know all of them, for example I could quote you the whole anglican confession thingy, however I can quote it, I can say it but in my opinion, along with all litergy because it becomes parrot fashion it means nothing to me, I'm just repeating words, I'd rather pray myself rather than some written words which I don't find relevant, as for the latter, is that a hymn?

     
  • At 10:13 AM, Blogger Ben F. Foster Esq. (c) said…

    Tim, not sure I get your point. Dave's a good mate of mine, but he's stupidly orthodox and conservative.

    Mark, I understand how you feel about that, but that's how I've come to feel about contemporary worship-music - heard it,sang it, done it all before. At St Augustines, there's a little excitement and sincereity injected into the liturgy which makes the words come alive and for me at least for more powerful than any other bit of music! Maybe you learned to recite the confession (which I think is awesome) before you understood the meaning behind it perhaps ... ?

     
  • At 11:37 AM, Blogger Timothy V Reeves said…

    No suggestion by me that you and Dave are anything other than good friends. But that's why I can laugh! But I think you have to be on the outside to see the point! -just as you have to be on the outside of a Hancock and James episode! The interaction of opposites provide some of the best insights ever! Funny often, but sometimes very serious, raising deep questions.

    But as you probably know, I actually have more in common with your position than I have with Dave's. So perhaps I am laughing at myself!

     
  • At 11:40 AM, Blogger Timothy V Reeves said…

    Actually it's probably all down to a difference in the concentrations of particular neuro-transmitters: we are tuned to play different notes as it were.

     
  • At 3:10 PM, Blogger Ben F. Foster Esq. (c) said…

    Dave shouted at me in the car earlier for disagreenig with him...


    I was told off :( ... rebuked if you will. Plus Dave says I have a demon in me

     
  • At 5:40 PM, Blogger Timothy V Reeves said…

    I would have said that it sounds like old friends, but it actually sounds like Christians! I have plenty of experiemce of Christians rebuking one another or accusing one another of "quenching the spirit", being "under the influence demons", "allowing satan in", "disobeying God's prophets" etc etc. If I believed all these accusations I wouldn't want for a moonshine! In fact if I believed all these accusations I would draw the conclusion that Christianity is ineffectual!

     
  • At 12:17 AM, Blogger Ben F. Foster Esq. (c) said…

    then you'd have the spirit of doubt. (I was told by an awesome paster that I have the spirit of cynacism).

    Satan of Timothy V Reeves - I rebuke thee in the name of Griffindor!!! I mean God

     

Post a Comment

<< Home