http://www.makepovertyhistory.org iBlog: ``Freedom, is an expensive commodity``

iBlog

Tomorrow's blog today

Friday, July 08, 2005

``Freedom, is an expensive commodity``

I just watched `Beyond Borders`, and thought it was cathertic enough to blog on before I lay me down to sleep. (I appologise if this is all unstructured, but it's very late/early right now).

Moving though it was, and all in all, grittily real, I can't help but feel a certain reluctance to allow my emotions to be driven by hollywood. Yet, in spite of my reservations, I think I'll choose to not let this unreliable 2.30am melancholy-ardor for my Swaziland go by unnoticed.

`Freedom is an expensive commodity`. I'm wholly unsure as to whether this statement holds true, or in which context. Either way, the more one dotes on the world past Yately, the more one's rosy eyed view of `Born Free` is brutally displaced by harsh reality that the uncivilized world serves subject to the tyrants who run it. The DVD gave examples of Ethiopia, Cambodia and Chechnya, but this it doesn't take a lot of delving through the recent BBC news archives to find just as sickening stories as I found out two drugged young girls (seven and nine years of age) are ushered into a hotel room in Cambodia or $60 for some sick paedo's amusement. What sickens me most about the state the world's in at the moment is not the suffering that goes on amidst our kind, but the callousness shown to fellow man by his counterpart.

Another, far more heavy thought who's fancy was tickled by the film, was the question of how readily would I leave everything to go live out there - in the midst of it all. (see, I'm so Westernised, I can't even bring myself to name the attrocities!). I mean, my biggest love in my world is my PC followed by mates (if I happen to have any friends reading this, it's a jok!), followed by my God (if any of my gods are reading this, again, I jest), followed by all the culture around - the galleries, the literature, the photography of nature. I love the nyfc forum, the bbc news coverage, the forum in Norwich, my mp3 collection, my minidisc player, my phone.... How readily would I give that all up, just to become someone's servant `out there`? how easily would I surrender England for Swaziland? It upsets me to know, that the answer is, `not easily enough`. Which, I guess is why I'm still here, left with my materialism being eroded by my passion to go into the world with the banner of Christ and bring forth His soothing hands. I'm no Reinharde Bonke - I don't seek to heal and evangelise every tribe I meet; I'm no Benny Hinn - I don't seek to make an orphanage in memory of every child I meet. My profession, so far as God and I choose to see it is concerned with nothing more than to comfort those who are needy and ease the suffering of the people. To know people by name. to be the last hand they hold in the world... but most of all, just to be the humblest, meekest servant of the hurting and the dying.... and the more I gaze in utter Love at my PC (and, I honestly Love it), I can't see that happening.

the last time I seriuosly thought about Africa and Swaziland I wrote this. Again, with everything I do, there's no copyright, but if you're a pianist, or a musician who can transcribe score, you're welcome to use and play this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home