http://www.makepovertyhistory.org iBlog: You're welcome to not read this

iBlog

Tomorrow's blog today

Monday, March 20, 2006

You're welcome to not read this

here's two hypothesis I've heard many times in the course of being a Christian:

1 - ``Lay all your ambitions down at the foot of the cross, make yourself nothing for God``
2- ``Trust God, he will give you the desires of your heart - He hears your dreams and satisfies your longings``

I think this can be thought of as doublethink.



I feel like a rant at church today. Ella and I went to Surrey Chapel tonight to see a peacher from `Frontiers`, who was the biggest narna ever. His sermon consisted of a .ppt with slide after slide of demographic figures and statistics about central Asia and the Christian populus and a bias history of the area. And he was one of these guys who would randomly shout sentences more to check you're paying attention than any other reason. Now aside from the general disagreeable nature of the man (which isn't in itself enough to deter me from anyone), it was his blatent racism against Islam. He was calling it a dark religion and even saying Stalin was a blessing from God because he stunted the spread of Islam throughout Europe and Asia. Now some people may call me racist, I call it conservatism - but even in my conservative anti-liberalist mindset, I was shocked by this guy's blatent desparagement of 1,200,000,000 people's deepest beliefs. Astonished that (because he said about the Parliamentary bill) he thought he had the right to insult the Islam institution worldwide. Now, much as I think Allah's no more worthy to be worshipped than The Zutons (ie, none at all), one should at least respect the global discimpline of organised religion in that form - also one should especially empathise being a believer in something himeself. I mean I was insensed at Abu Hamza's preaching, and I sure as shoot don't think any Christian has the authority to denounce anybody's beliefs in such a way.



This is a rubbish unstructred blogentry, so I'll publish I think

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home