http://www.makepovertyhistory.org iBlog: Working Unpaid overtime is like <s>Pandas</s> your parents having sex

iBlog

Tomorrow's blog today

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Working Unpaid overtime is like Pandas your parents having sex

... Even the thought of it makes you shudder but there was a time when it was necessary.

So after some long thinking, the unsurprising conclusion occured to me that when it comes to being a manager at where I work, my passion is 50% my will to succeed, 60% wanting a payrise and about -10% enthusiasm for the job, so I'll be closing the door on that line of work.

New management (whom shall remain nameless for the sake of my job) has been quoted as saying
``If you're not working at least 100% at least 100% of the time you can fuck off``
and
```short day` shouldn't enter your vocabulary``
(39 working week should be split into 4*8 hour days and a short 7 hour day).

This coupled with the continual blackmail of `work unpaid overtime or you'll be taken off your fast-track programme` doesn't inspire the average iBen.

The main comptetition to where I work have made the majority of their full time staff redundant and my employer seem to use that as the happy sword of damaclese in the manner of `work harder or it'll happen to you`.

So all in all, where I work is not a nice place to be at the moment, and so it is time for a change.

I've had the last week and 'arf off which has been good to get some headspace to find out what I want to do.

I went to the forum and the `learning shop`* (sigh) and went on a computer programme (like the 21st century post modern generation we are, I allowed my future to be decided for me by software) and clicked some brightly coloured buttons asking me whether I liked `working with children` or `do you enjoy following a set methodical process` and all that jazz. Anyhoo, the great PC thought long and hard and said I should be a naval architecht.

My naval always gets full of fluff so I don't want to let that spill into my working life so the next suggestion was I should be a quantity surveyor and there's no way I can work from not until retirement with `tity` in my job title so that went out of the window.

PC diligently kept suggesting things like `architechtural technician` which sounded interesting but on closer inspection turns out you need a degree to be a scivvy. Everything needs a degree, incidently. I might moan about that some more later perhaps.

Anyhoo, I thought I was being a bit ungrateful to poor old PC (it was working so hard, I'd never seen a WINDOWS 95 machine busy light so passionate about helping me find a job) so I decided to be an accountant.

Yup, the glorious, life changing adrenaleine rush that is adding receipts and calculating the VAT and adding that to a ledger and then adding up more receipts and calculating the VAT and adding that to a different ledger and if there's time, finding the sum total of some receipts working out the tax and putting that on one of these ledgers one reads so much about.

Definately the career for me. I love numbers, I'm not good enough with them to do anything worth while so I'll stick to the trused +*-/% calculator functions for the next half century.

I think I'll be happy there.


* something left wing and Labour funded full of `... liaison officers` and `employment facilitators` alluding to the same conclusions one can find through google and ringing City College but helps the government's image of progress and supporting the average joe on the street in a way that's cheaper than cutting NHS waiting times, putting more bobbies on the beat or reducing class sizes.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:52 AM, Blogger Timothy V Reeves said…

    Accountant? You must desperate, but the money's reasonable

    Talk about a work house ethic:How can they expect you to work at least 100% at least 100% of the time? Does mean that if possible they would like you to work more than 24hrs a day with no extra money?

    No wonder you want to be an account; it simply doesn't add up!

     
  • At 9:40 PM, Blogger Timothy V Reeves said…

    Further to the "you do workhouse hours here or else f*ck off" ethic you had better have a look at this link.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home