http://www.makepovertyhistory.org iBlog: www.mysupermarket.co.uk

iBlog

Tomorrow's blog today

Sunday, January 14, 2007

www.mysupermarket.co.uk

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/GettingStarted/Home.aspx

This is the best website I've seen in a long time. Linked from http://www.sort-it.co.uk/

Just make a shopping list like your normal week's groceries, and see how the bill compares from supermarket to supermarket. (Then make a purchasement at the end if you like).

We tend to use Tesco which came out the cheapest for me. My shop based on what we bought today at Morrisons was:

apples (4)
bananas (12)
green beans
red pepper
orange pepper
corgette (2)
cucumber
tomatoes (8)
mushrooms (3)
Onion (s)
milk (4pt0
mince beef (half kg)
coupla chicken breasts
rice krispies (acording to La - the healthiest cerial)
sugar free orange squash

Totals were:
Tesco: £20.80
ASDA: £21.28
Sainsbury's: £21.89
Ocado: £23.57
-------------------------

Difference isn't a lot, but for a big family shop (La and me only buy what we can carry and not a full week's anyway), if anyone's willing to give it a go, it'd be interesting to see how the prices compare.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:29 AM, Blogger Helsalata said…

    In my very annoying liberal way I am bound to say- "It's not all about monetary cost". I'm bound to say it and I did!
    I realise that you are on a tight budget but then in truth, so am I. Was interested to read that M&S have put out a 5 year plan to go carbon neutral, zero-waste-to-landfill, ethical-trading, sustainable-sourcing and a health-promoting business.
    If you are interested in the REAL cost of food then I suggest you read "Not on the Label". Otherwise, ignorance is bliss.

     
  • At 1:26 AM, Blogger Ben F. Foster Esq. (c) said…

    I agree - it's the Western consumers who need to break the cycle of exploitation and irresponsible food extraction/manufacturing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home