http://www.makepovertyhistory.org iBlog: Dear The Natural History Museum

iBlog

Tomorrow's blog today

Friday, June 20, 2008

Dear The Natural History Museum

FAO John

Dear The Natural History Museum

Excuse me for writing to this address but you didn't have a `found a new species` inbox for me write to.

That being said, I've managed to find a new species in my garden!!!!

The new species is of the genus `beetlum`. It is about four inches long and roughly an inch in height. It's black all over (as you'd expect - probably to camoflauge in wet mud) and it is flanked by two yellow stripes which I can only describe as `go faster` stripes. the beetle also has antlers and a long neck.

I writ to the lads at the WWF and they suggested speaking to you guys at the old NHM. Although they didn't give me the name John I thought I would FAO this to you, John so I could have some personal contact.

So getting back to this beetle. I did think of naming it the `Hayfever Beetle` as my sister-in-law had hayfever when I discovered it but now I'm more keen on the name `Jew-bug` as after millenia of oppression from the Babylonians to the Third Reich, the least they deserve is a insect named after them!! I'm sure you understand my reas'ning, John.

Re: catching the wee Jew-bug, I've only seen it a flighting twice and a half times.
* Sighting the First: too scared to do any thing
* Sighting the second: Shouted `wait` in a panic to catch it
* Sighting the third: Dressed the cat with a bright yellow beak to tempt the Jew-bug out of hiding. Unsucsessful but had a moment of madness in thinking I'd found another new species (but then realised it was Napolean in a beak). Might have seen the Jew-bug out of the corner of my eye. Unconfirmed sighting.

I'll keep up my 9 hour a day vigil in my deck chair with jam-jar afoot and I'll contact you as soon as I have captured the Jew-bug. Let me know your number and I'll call you the minute it's within my grasp.

Yours sincerely
Ben Foster

P.s, I'll look very silly if you don't have a John working there won't I!!

1 Comments:

  • At 12:35 AM, Blogger CHARLAX said…

    Dung, rhinoceros, Hercules, sacred scarab: These are the names of some of the most well known beetles in the scarab beetle family. This large family of more than 30,000 species has some of the most awesome beetles in the insect world.
    The Jewish Scarab is also known as the EgYption Scarab it was first noticed when Moses refused to step on one of them near the Pharoe one day during a plauge.
    There is a club at the end of each short and elbowed antenna that helps to identify scarab beetles. Some species are brilliantly colored in metallic hues of black, purple, blue, green, bronze or gold. Most adult scarabs are oval in shape, but some are circular.WOW a round and oval bug. They are what they eat.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home