http://www.makepovertyhistory.org iBlog: Dear Oxford English Dictionary

iBlog

Tomorrow's blog today

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Dear Oxford English Dictionary

Dear Mrs/Miss/Ms/Dr Margot Charlton

Thankyou for your alarming response to my recent email which you send in but a trifling 15 hours after I sent mine!!! I've a good mind to jemail the Collins Dictionary and see what their response times are like! no douct not a patch on yours I dare say!

Now back to the issue at hand... I feel most abashed to not have noticed teflon... especially as it has been in the Dictionary longer than I are been alive!

Regarding the term thankyou that the dictionary has traditionally mis-spelt `thank you`, I am disapointed it has not yet been corrected. Whom can I appeal to rectify this offensive situation???

Seeing as I now have a penchant for the informing of new words... I am left but wondering - how doth a new word get added-eth unto the dictionary?? What happens when a word is born? What counts as words?? Am there criteria for a word to count? Ie - I heard a chav use the word `flambouyantizzle` to describe an aloof pimp the other day would this count as a word? Could I add it to the dictionary on his behalf ot does he need to write to you himself?

Please help me out in this most taxing of lexical conundra

Yours sincerely

Ben

1 Comments:

  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger Timothy V Reeves said…

    Can you get them to add 'Bennage' to the OED on my behalf? No need to tell them what it means as you've given them a jolly good dose of it.

    While you're there can you inquire about the spelling of "Mawrfuh'uz". As a southern american departure from the anglo-saxon, they may need to know that the linguistic goal posts are on the move again.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home