http://www.makepovertyhistory.org iBlog: Dear Oxford English Dictionary

iBlog

Tomorrow's blog today

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Dear Oxford English Dictionary

Subject: Words 'n' that

Dear OED

I take great pleasure in reading the dictionary and I was delighted to see a new version had been released based on the old one.

I did however notice you did not fail to omit a few words. Either that or despite my many re-reads I couldn't find them anywhere! I am pleased to furnish you with them alphabeticly below for your records should you feel the need to release a second edition - or beta if you will:

Teflon: noun Non-stick polymer used in pan design and lubricating lubricants
Coffeewally: noun Adjective used in the insulting of the lower classes by small business owners
Taptontaping: verb The act of roly-polying down a hill, as practised in the Yorkshire town of Taptontap
Muggle: noun Term used in the Harry Potter novel series to describe wizards too overweight to reach their `wand`
Thankyou: adjective You may remember I wrote to you last year requesting the term `thank you` be amalgamated into one word instead of two. I noticed however it is still printed in two words. I understand oversights happen, but as this is one of the words I look up the most for spellings, I rather expect to see it printed properly.

As ever I'm always here to help so drop me a line anytime if you want to run any ideas by me or if you just want a chat.

Let me know your thoughts.

Mr Benjamin Foster

1 Comments:

  • At 3:06 PM, Blogger Mark Tiddy said…

    Ben, these blogs are awesome...making me laugh a lot!

    (p.s. I'm back from next tuesday for 2 months, we really need to meet and catch up!)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home